Stock No. 2795
English Oak Carved Bench End of broad dimensions, circa 1470 – 1500. It has a Poppy Head Finial with some losses from insect damage. The Poppy head has the usual collar ring at its base, set into a carved bell shape which flows into the scallop shouldered edge of the two register blind tracery decorated main body. The bottom plinth has gone and the Bench end has been very effectively set into a modern base. The structural shape and stiff carved decoration indicate that it might be from the Nottinghamshire area, where for instance Bench Ends of similar cut out shapes can be seen at St Giles Church, Balderton. There are traces of early paint, and there are some ancient shrinkage cracks, but the overall piece is solid as a rock!
Dimensions: Height (including base) 107 centimetres, Width 39 centimetres, Depth 7 centimetres